- Step 1: Assess your needs Assess your particular glove needs. The gloves used for mixed martial arts heavy bag training are generally lighter weight than those used for boxing heavy bag training.
- Step 2: Understand the weight range Understand that heavy bag gloves generally range in size from 12 to 16 ounces, based on your training needs. The heavier the glove, the more protection from injury you'll have. Lighter gloves allow for greater mobility.
- Step 3: Know top brands Know that the top three brands of heavy bag gloves are Everlast, Century, and Harbinger. These makers offer a wide range of products for a variety of training requirements.
- Step 4: Try them on Try on several sets of gloves at your local sports equipment store and test them with the store's displayed heavy bag. Make sure the fit is right, with the knuckle padding directly over your knuckles and the wrist guard just over the wrist bone. The glove should feel comfortable, with no movement or slipping.
- TIP: Test out several manufacturers and styles of gloves.
- Step 5: Decide your budget Decide on a budget. Good quality gloves are essential to avoid injury. Expect to pay between $20 and $100 dollars for a quality pair of heavy bag gloves, but prices can exceed $200 for better gloves.
- FACT: Average gate revenues for the Ultimate Fighting Championship's mixed martial arts fights were $2.8 million in 2007.
You Will Need
- Local sports equipment store