- Step 1: Be at least 18 years old Be at least 18 years old to qualify to compete in the race.
- Step 2: Visit nyrr.org, the website of the NY Road Runners Visit nyrr.org, the website of the New York Road Runners, the club that sponsors the marathon. Check in late January for lottery registration information.
- TIP: Join the New York Road Runners Club and compete and volunteer in races throughout the year to earn guaranteed entry into the New York Marathon.
- Step 3: Complete registration paperwork Complete the registration paperwork and submit it to the New York Road Runners before the deadline.
- Step 4: Watch the Lottery Drawing to see if you made it Watch the Lottery Drawing on the New York Road Runners website in early April to see if you made it into the race.
- Step 5: Explore other entry options if you didn't make it Explore other entry options if you weren't one of the lucky few to win a lottery slot. Registering to run the marathon for a charity allows you to participate and raise money for a good cause.
- FACT: Ted Corbitt, the founder of the New York Road Runners, was the first African-American to compete in an Olympic marathon event, running in the 1952 Helsinki Games.
You Will Need
- Internet access