- Step 1: Go to Facebook's Help Center Go to Facebook's Help Center for a short list of chat emoticons common to most chat apps, such as a colon and right parentheses to represent a smiley face.
- TIP: Less common emoticon keyboard combination codes include a colon and a capital V to symbolize a Pac-Man icon.
- Step 2: Download Firefox Download the latest version of Mozilla's Firefox browser if you don't already have it. Then go to Mozilla's "Add-ons for Facebook" page.
- Step 3: Download the Facebook Chatbar App Download the Facebook ChatBar App. Close and restart Firefox, and then log on to Facebook. The ChatBar adds a set of emoticon icons to the top of the Facebook chat window.
- TIP: As with all browser apps, Firefox's Facebook ChatBar App's performance results may be mixed.
- Step 4: Click on a ChatBar icon Click on a ChatBar icon to easily insert it into your chat window text, eliminating the need to memorize more complicated emoticon key combination codes.
- Step 5: Experiment with emoticons Experiment in the Facebook chat window with combinations of symbols and letters, using codes from Facebook groups to create your own emoticons.
- FACT: In 1963, advertising agency executive Harvey Ball collected a fee of only $45 for creating the iconic yellow smiley face symbol for a client.
You Will Need
- Facebook account
- Emoticon list
- Firefox browser
- Facebook ChatBar App