- : Check with your doctor before starting any vigorous exercise plan.
- Step 1: Acquire the right equipment to run safely Invest in good running shoes that offer ample support and shock absorption. Shop for clothes that are appropriate for your climate and that will keep you dry and comfortable throughout your run.
- TIP: Give yourself extra motivation by bringing along a digital music player to listen to your favorite songs while you run.
- Step 2: Run on schedule Create a running schedule so that you stay disciplined and develop a runner's body over time. Commit to running at least four times a week.
- Step 3: Go the distance Prepare to eventually run long distances, such as 10 miles or even more before experiencing the runner's high.
- Step 4: Boost anandamide Run for at least 40 minutes at approximately 75 percent of your maximum heart rate and you may experience a significant increase in anandamide, a chemical which promotes feelings of contentment and lessened sensitivity to pain and may be partially responsible for the runner's high.
- TIP: Push yourself, but don't overexert yourself, to find your optimal, chemical-boosting pace.
- Step 5: Don't expect immediate results Know that the runner's high experience is not very common and that it may take much time and training to achieve it. Still, you can enjoy the health benefits of vigorous exercise and experience endorphin rushes while you await the runner's high.
- Step 6: Reflect while you run Reflect or meditate while you run to foster your mind-body connection. People who have experienced the runner's high describe feelings of timelessness, floating, and inner awareness often achieved in deep meditation. Just make sure to continue to watch where you are going!
- FACT: Anandamide binds to the same chemical receptors in your brain as cannabis.
You Will Need
- Quality running shoes
- Running schedule
- Reflective mind
- Digital music player (optional)