- Step 1: Set realistic goals Set realistic goals. This is the first step in achieving weight loss. Set goals that allow you time to lose the weight. Also set goals that you can track -- both long-term and short-term -- in terms of eating right and exercising.
- Step 2: Write your goals down Write down your goals and your processes for achieving your goals. Note when you will exercise, what you will eat, and what foods and equipment you will need to achieve the goals.
- TIP: Set up a weekly exercise schedule and a weekly meal plan that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and proteins. This way, both your calendar and your food plan will be set.
- Step 3: Pick a date Pick a date to begin your new lifestyle. Be sure to avoid overly stressful times. Once you've picked a date, stick with it.
- Step 4: Evaluate Evaluate your progress and your goals. Reevaluate your initial goals if necessary. Maybe things are too easy -- you can bump up your exercise routine. Or maybe you need a few more calories in your daily diet than you originally estimated. Whatever it is, be flexible with yourself.
- TIP: Don't beat yourself up if you have a setback. Setbacks are part of changing your lifestyle. Just get back on your plan.
- Step 5: Focus on health Focus on improving your health. Losing weight is great, but being healthy is fantastic. Look at your new lifestyle as a healthy lifestyle that you will live longer to enjoy.
- FACT: Exercise has been proven to help reduce stress and anxiety due to the body's release of endorphins, which create positive feelings.
You Will Need