- Step 1: Understand that water has zero calories Understand that drinking water fills up the stomach with a substance that has zero calories. It's a great adjunct to a weight loss diet because, if you're full of water, you will not eat as much.
- TIP: Researchers in Germany have reported that water consumption increases the rate at which people burn calories. But the effect is very small.
- Step 2: Drink, don't eat Know that people sometimes eat when they're thirsty instead of drinking. If you don't drink enough water during the day, you may consume calories instead.
- Step 3: Drink water before meals Drink two 8-ounce glasses of water before meals if you want to lose weight.
- TIP: A study found that people who drank water before meals ate an average of 75 fewer calories at that meal.
- Step 4: Get in the swim Swim or do water aerobics to aid your weight loss. Even treading water can burn up to 11 calories per minute. But try to avoid really cold water, which can stimulate your appetite.
- FACT: Approximately 70 percent of an adult's body is made up of water.
You Will Need
- Place to swim