- Step 1: Pull out yarn Pull out about 12" of yarn from the ball. This is the "tail end" of your yarn.
- Step 2: Form loop Form a loop by crossing the yarn about 4" to 6" from the tail end of the yarn—it will make an "X."
- TIP: Make sure the loose end of the yarn is at the bottom of the "X."
- Step 3: Pinch "X" Pinch the "X" between the thumb and forefinger of your left hand.
- Step 4: Form smaller loop With your right hand, form a smaller loop, with the strand of yarn still attached to the ball, about 2" to the right of the first loop.
- Step 5: Insert loop Feed the smaller second loop up through the bottom of the first loop, and insert your right forefinger through the second loop.
- Step 6: Pull down ends Grab both ends of the yarn with your left hand and pull down, but don't completely tighten the knot.
- Step 7: Knot yarn Slip the needle through the loop, remove your finger, and pull the yarn attached to the ball into a gentle knot against the needle.
- TIP: Pulling the knot too tight will make it difficult to knit your first row.
- Step 8: Now cast on You did it—now get ready to cast on.
- FACT: Knitting is a favorite pastime of actresses Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, and Sarah Jessica Parker.
You Will Need
- A knitting needle
- A ball of yarn