- Step 1: Choose location Figure out where you want to hang the picture.
- Step 2: Determine wall type Determine what kind of wall you have. In general, most older, pre-World-War-Two homes have plaster walls, which can support thin nails.
- TIP: Very new homes may have metal studs instead of wood. Slide a strong magnet along the wall to locate one, and slowly drill a fine-thread screw into place.
- Step 3: Measure size of picture Measure the size of the picture you want to hang.
- Step 4: Use painter's tape Use painter’s tape to outline the picture’s dimensions on the wall where you want to hang it.
- Step 5: Measure distance to hook On the back of the picture, measure the distance from the top of the frame to where the hook will need to be.
If your frame has picture wire, pull the wire taut toward the top of the frame when measuring.
- Step 6: Mark spot Measure the same distance from the center and top of your tape outline, and mark the spot with a pencil.
- TIP: Larger or heavier pictures may need two hooks.
- Step 7: Secure hook & hang Secure the hook or hooks in place, and hang up the picture.
- Step 8: Use a level Use a level to make sure the picture is hanging evenly, so everyone is happy.
- FACT: The glass in a picture frame should not touch the picture or painting it covers – it can cause damage and discoloration.
You Will Need
- Framed picture
- Tape measurer
- Some painteru2019s tape
- Picture hook with nails
- Drill and masonry bit
- Wall anchor
- Strong magnet