- Step 1: Wash down aspirin with coffee Take 2 aspirin with a cup of coffee. Researchers found that the combination of caffeine and aspirin was effective in relieving the pounding headache that often accompanies a hangover.
- TIP: Take aspirin for a hangover in moderation, as it can irritate the stomach.
- Step 2: Eat a bacon sandwich Dig into a bacon sandwich. The carbs help boost blood sugar, and the amino acids in the bacon's protein help restore the brain neurotransmitters that the alcohol depleted. Throw on an egg for good measure: Eggs contain large amounts of cysteine, a substance that breaks down the hangover-causing toxin acetaldehyde.
- Step 3: Pop some asparagus extract Take a 2,000-mg capsule of asparagus extract with a glass of water. A study found that asparagus increases the activity of key enzymes that metabolize alcohol, alleviating hangover symptoms and protecting the liver against alcohol's toxins. To help prevent a hangover, pop a capsule before drinking and the minute you stop.
- TIP: Eating fresh asparagus isn't an option -- you'd have to consume several pounds to have a discernable effect.
- Step 4: Sip tea with honey Sip a cup of peppermint tea with honey. The mint soothes your stomach, and the fructose in the honey helps cure a hangover by metabolizing the alcohol faster.
- Step 5: Don't have more booze Don't rely on the hair of the dog that bit you. Drinking alcohol may provide temporary relief but won't actually cure a hangover. In fact, your hangover will soon come roaring back stronger than ever.
- FACT: A pickled sheep's eye in a glass of tomato juice is a popular method to cure a hangover in Outer Mongolia.
You Will Need
- Asparagus extract
- Bacon sandwich
- Peppermint tea