- Step 1: Apply to a doomsday community Join a doomsday community to survive a 2012 end-of-the-world scenario -- an underground bunker network built to keep people alive for a year. You'll need both the price of admission -- at least $50,000 in some cases -- and approval by the bunker board.
- TIP: Increase your chances of acceptance by developing a survival skill that will be useful in the bunker.
- Step 2: Build your own bunker If you prefer to go it alone, build your own apocalypse shelter, or buy a prefabricated one. Camouflage it if you can: You don't want desperate neighbors trying to break down the bunker door when all hell breaks loose.
- Step 3: Stock the basics Stock your 2012 end-of-the-world shelter with the basics: non-perishable food that doesn't require cooking; water; clothing; and medical supplies.
- Step 4: Anticipate disasters Be equipped to survive any apocalyptic scenario by stocking hazmat suits, personal flotation devices, fireproofing spray, and potassium iodide tablets to protect against radiation exposure. After all, we don't know exactly how the end will come.
- Step 5: Prepare to start again Include supplies that will help you make a new start once it's safe to leave the bunker, like seeds to plant a crisis garden; water purification items; waterproof matches; and hand tools for a world that may not have electricity.
- Step 6: Get fit Spend your time in the bunker getting into top physical shape; now that you've survived 2012 and the end of the world, you're going to need all the strength you can muster to re-establish a new one.
- FACT: One 2012 end-of-the-world theory we don't have to worry about is Earth colliding with so-called Planet X -- NASA scientists say that planet doesn't even exist.
You Will Need
- Doomsday community
- Apocalypse shelter
- Non-perishable food
- Medical supplies
- Disaster protection
- Rebuilding supplies
- Physical fitness
- Survivalist skill (optional)