- Step 1: Par-bake pie shell Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and par-bake the pie shell from 15 to 20 minutes or until it has a light, golden color. Let the shell cool for 30 minutes.
- TIP: Keep your crust smooth as it bakes with pie weights or uncooked beans.
- Step 2: Mix ingredients Hand or machine mix the golden syrup, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, heavy cream, and lemon juice; add a pinch of ground ginger if you like.
- TIP: If you can’t find golden syrup, which is typically available in specialty food stores, use light corn syrup and molasses in a 2 to 1 ratio as a substitute.
- Step 3: Bake Spread the mixture into the pie shell, lower the oven to 350 degrees, and bake the treacle tart for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is just set.
- Step 4: Cool and serve Allow the tart to cool, and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. Harry Potter would be proud!
- FACT: Steven Spielberg was considered for directing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone -- he wanted to consolidate several of the books' plots and make it an animated feature.
You Will Need
- 2 c. golden syrup
- 1 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Pie weights or uncooked beans (optional)
- Ground ginger (optional)
- Light corn syrup (optional)
- Molasses (optional)
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)