- Step 1: Copy Graceland Make like fans at Graceland and host an Elvis-themed bingo game, an Elvis impersonator contest, and a candlelight vigil on August 15.
- TIP: To make Elvis bingo cards, substitute words associated with the King for bingo letters and numbers.
- Step 2: Listen to Elvis's favorite music Instead of just playing Elvis's hits, also listen to musicians who influenced him, like gospel singers Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Jake Hess, pop singer Kay Starr, and crooner Dean Martin.
- Step 3: Enjoy Elvis's favorite food Fix yourself Elvis's favorite sandwich: Peanut butter and mashed banana on white bread, fried in butter. He also loved banana pudding, pimiento cheese toast points, and pound cake.
- TIP: Gourmet magazine declared Elvis's favorite pound cake "the best pound cake we have ever tasted." Find the recipe on epicurious.com.
- Step 4: Host an Elvis film marathon Host an Elvis film marathon to celebrate Elvis Week: His movies included Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, and Girl Happy.
- Step 5: Go to an amusement park Spend the day riding a roller coaster. Elvis loved the Zippin Pippin, a roller coaster in the now-defunct Memphis theme park Libertyland.
- Step 6: Support an Elvis charity Make a donation to one of the charities close to Elvis's heart, such as St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital or the March of Dimes. Because the best way to celebrate Elvis Week is to continue the King's charitable works.
- FACT: A photograph of Elvis Presley and U.S. President Richard Nixon is the White House's most requested picture.
You Will Need
- Elvis-themed bingo
- Elvis impersonator contest
- Elvis's favorite foods
- Elvis movies
- Roller coaster
- Elvis's favorite pound cake recipe (optional)