Skip to main content

Tech Deck Terminology

Learn about tech deck terminology in this Howcast video.


Tech deck terminology is important to understand when you first get into fingerboarding because its helpful to be able to identify all the different parts of the fingerboard, especially when you go and try to find new parts or upgrades to your fingerboard. The first part of the fingerboard, which is the wood part, is called the deck. And on top of that is a grip tape surface. Its either rough grip tape, which feels like sand paper, or this foam type grip tape. We also have wheels. There are 4 wheels on a finger board and 2 trucks, and the trucks can be loosened, allowing you to turn more easily, or tightened based on your personal preference. There's many companies out there that offer different types of ramps. For example, this ramp right here is called a half pipe. It's made by tech deck. Its basically a half pipe because it has 2 walls, each with transition on them, and it has couping at the top with a little deck, allowing you to do tricks along the sides of the wall, on top of the deck, on either side. and this right here is called a fun box. Basically, any ramp that's called a fun box is an obstacle with 2 ramps on each side connected by a flat piece in the middle and typically you'll see a fun box that either has a ledge going down it or in this case, a rail right in the center.

Popular Categories