- Step 1: Know the definition Know what the X factor is -- that elusive star quality that's difficult to define because it's a little different in everyone who possesses it.
- Step 2: Be original Be original. You don't get the X factor by copying other people's style.
- Step 3: Make others feel special Make others feel special. People who have that "certain something" can usually make whomever they're talking with feel like a million bucks.
- Step 4: Speak confidently Speak quickly; people who do are rated more charismatic than those who speak slowly. And get rid of filler speech such as "ums" and "you knows"; it undermines the confidence you want to project.
- TIP: Pepper your speech with metaphors; research shows that U.S. presidents who did were rated as more charismatic than their less colorful counterparts.
- Step 5: Be fearless Be fearless. People with the X factor are not afraid to take risks -- or to fail.
- Step 6: Persevere Pursue your goals. Because who's going to know you have the X factor if you don't put it out there?
- FACT: TV Producer Simon Cowell recommends that you not sing "I'm Yours," by Jason Mraz or "Hello" by Lionel Richie at your X Factor audition.
You Will Need
- Metaphors (optional)