- Step 1: Figure out time you must wake up The evening before the big day, figure out exactly what time you need to be up in the morning. Work backwards from the time of your appointment, factoring in how long you’ll need to shower, have breakfast, and so on.Subtract the total amount of time from your appointment time… That’s when you absolutely have to wake up.
- TIP: Don’t pad your times; if you do, you’ll know you have extra time built in and you won’t take your wake-up time seriously.
- Step 2: Prepare night before The night before the event, make whatever preparations you can to save yourself some time the next morning.
- Step 3: Get a friend to call Call a friend who’s an early-riser and ask them to call you at your designated wake-up time.
- TIP: Don’t forget to thank your special friend afterwards with a small gift or notion.
- Step 4: Set alarm Set the most annoying alarm clock you can find to your designated wake-up time. Then set as many more as you can get your hands on to go off each minute leading up to it.
- Step 5: Go to bed early When everything’s set, go to bed. Make sure you 'turn in' no later than eight hours before you need to be awake.
- TIP: If you have roommates, ask them to respect your need for sleep. If they have to play video games past your bedtime, they can mute the TV.
- Step 6: Pick good sleeping position Pick a good sleeping position. Sleep experts recommend sleeping on your side, and advise against sleeping on your stomach.
- Step 7: Get up w/ first alarm When the first alarm sounds, get up immediately. You don’t want the rest of them going off, do you?
- Step 8: Complete morning routine Complete your morning routine exactly as planned, using only as much time as you allotted yourself for each activity. Or less--if you finish early, you’ll have time to relax and gather your thoughts.
- Step 9: Go get 'em Now go get ‘em, tiger! Ace that interview! Land that job! Attaboy!
- FACT: Ducks sleep with only half their brain at a time--the other half is awake and on the alert for predators.
You Will Need
- Annoying alarm clock
- Friend who's awake