- Step 1: Man up Man up your homemade Halloween costume for women by going as Annie Hall, Diane Keaton's character in the Woody Allen movie of the same name. All you need are a pair of trousers, a button-down men's shirt, a wide men's tie, a vest, and a derby-style hat.
- Step 2: Go lightly Grab a little black dress, a pair of elbow-length black gloves, and a multi-strand of pearls, and you can be Holly Golightly, the enchantress Audrey Hepburn played in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Wear your hair in an updo if it's long enough, with a tiara.
- Step 3: Be a princess Be a princess -- Star Wars's Princess Leia to be exact. All you need to play Carrie Fisher's iconic character is a long-sleeved white dress or tunic, preferably with a turtleneck, and a wide metallic belt. Then style your hair into Princess Leia's "cinnamon bun" hairstyle and tote a toy machine gun.
- TIP: If you can't find a turtleneck dress or tunic, wear a white turtleneck under a plain-collared dress.
- Step 4: Go crazy Go crazy by spending Halloween as Baby Jane, the former child star who torments her paralyzed sister in the horror classic, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? Put on a frilly little-girl dress; don a gray wig styled in banana curls; and complete the look with garish makeup.
- TIP: A fake rat on a covered platter is a perfect prop for Bette Davis's creepy character.
- Step 5: Be a diva Be faded silent screen star Norma Desmond of Sunset Boulevard by wearing a sparkly evening dress -- or just a fancy dressing gown -- and a turban. To complete this homemade Halloween costume, slap on lots of makeup, including false eyelashes, then swan around saying, "I'm ready for my close-up!"
- TIP: Asked which Halloween costume for women would get their attention at a party, men gave "sexy French maid" their top vote.
You Will Need