- Step 1: Invite the right guests Invite the right guests: You only want positive, supportive people at your divorce party. If you're ready to date again, ask guests to bring eligible singles.
- TIP: If your divorce is friendly, consider hosting a joint party.
- Step 2: Plan the music Have upbeat breakup songs on hand; avoid any music that makes you melancholy.
- Step 3: Consider a gift registry If you lost a lot of joint possessions in the divorce, consider signing up for a gift registry. If you don't need anything but know your guests will bring gifts anyway, ask for donations to charity.
- Step 4: Include a ritual Include a meaningful ritual during your divorce party, something that symbolizes that your split is a beginning, not an end.
- TIP: Choose a more aggressive -- but safe! -- ritual to help release any anger you may be feeling, like beating a pinata with your ex's picture on it.
- Step 5: Recite divorce vows Recite divorce vows -- promises you make in front of friends and family to cherish yourself from this day forward.
- Step 6: Serve a divorce cake Serve a divorce cake. To make one yourself, just bake a cake and split it down the middle. Congratulations on your divorce!
- FACT: Rocker Jack White and his wife, model Karen Elson, threw a divorce party to celebrate their upcoming split -- on their 6th wedding anniversary.
You Will Need
- Supportive guests
- Breakup songs
- Divorce registry
- Divorce cake