- Step 1: Clear a path Make sure you have a clear pathway when decorating your room.
- Step 2: Designate areas Designate a special place where you can get your work done.
- TIP: Desk alternatives If you don't have room for a desk, consider buying a lap desk.
- Step 3: Room add-ons Think about having a TV in your room. Also, consider painting your walls a new color.
- Step 4: Dealing with clutter If you have a lot of knickknacks and trinkets cluttering your room, take a photo of them and make a slideshow on your computer--that way the memories are at your fingertips but aren't junking up your space.
Decorating your room can be so fun, and it's a great way to express your personal style. What's important to remember is you want to have that fun and that energy, and that expression of yourself, but you also want to make sure that it's functional. So I've got my desk over here, but then I have this huge collection of throw pillows, and my adorable monkey, and paintings on the wall.
When you're decorating your room make sure you're leaving a clear pathway. You want to make sure that you can walk in, get to your bed, closet, or your desk with ease and you are not stepping over piles of things.
See if you can designate a special place just to get your work done. So I have a desk, but a lot of time I do my work on my bed. If you don't have room for a full size desk in your room, they have smaller desks. And they also make lap desks, and those can be really great if you just want to sit on your bed, flip through a couple of magazines, or maybe get some homework done. Keep that space neat and uncluttered so that nothing distracts you when you're doing your work.
You also want to figure out if having a TV in your room is right for you. A lot of people have TVs because it can be a great way to tune out and relax at the end of the day. But, it can also be a huge distraction. And if you think you're the kind of person that's going to spend hours in their room watching TV instead of hanging out with their friends or seeing their family then maybe it's not the right choice for you.
If you need to give your room like a fresh new look, or you feel like, "Oh my god this is so drab, it's been this way forever," ask you parents if it's cool if you paint your room. And then pick out a color. See if you can match it to your throw pillows, your bedspread, or some of the accessories you have in your room.
Here's a tip that I should definitely take advantage of. If you feel like you have trinkets and mementoes just cluttering your space absolutely everywhere, take a digital photo of each one and create an album on your desktop. That way they're right at your fingertips whenever you want to re-live those memories, but they're not absolutely everywhere in your room cluttering your space.