- Step 1: Make "Q" shape Cross the end of the rope around the pole, and over the top of the remaining rope, making a "Q" shape.
- TIP: Be sure to give your "Q" a very long tail—you'll need some extra length to complete the knot.
- Step 2: Repeat Do the same thing again, passing the end through the loop a second time in the same direction.
- Step 3: Pull end down Pull the end down parallel alongside the remaining rope.
- Step 4: Make another "Q" Make another "Q," but this time cross the end behind the long stretch of remaining rope.
- Step 5: Pass end through lower loop Pull the end up and pass it through the lower loop, this time from the front.
- Step 6: Pull end tight Pull the end tight. The remaining loop should slide easily up and down the line. Happy camping!
- FACT: The Taut Line knot has been a staple of the official Boy Scout Handbook since 1910.
You Will Need
- A single length of rope
- A pole