- Step 1: Make "Q" shape Cross the end of the rope over the top of the remaining rope, making a "Q" shape.
- Step 2: Twist top around Pinch the top of the loop and twist it around once, away from the tail of your "Q."
- Step 3: Pull end through loop Pull the end of the rope, or the tail of the "Q," up through the upper loop from behind.
- Step 4: Tighten Pull the rope at both ends to tighten, forming a figure eight.
- FACT: The Figure Eight is the basis for several more complicated rock climbing knots, like the Figure Eight Bend and the Retraced Figure Eight.
You Will Need