- Step 1: Find a slippery floor Find a floor that’s good for sliding, like hardwood or smooth tile.
- TIP: It’s easier to learn the movements if you start out in socks.
- Step 2: Line up your feet Stand with your feet together. Then move your right foot slightly ahead of your left while keeping both feet on the ground.
- Step 3: Raise your heel Raise your right heel so that your weight is on the ball of your right foot. Keep your left foot flat on the ground.
- Step 4: Lower the right heel Begin to lower your right heel to the ground, while simultaneously sliding your left foot back along the floor until your left toes are next to the heel of your right foot.
- Step 5: Repeat with left foot With the toes of your left foot now lined up with the heel of the right foot, lift your left foot and repeat the same process--except the roles are now on the other foot, so to speak.
- TIP: Remember to apply pressure to whichever foot is raised, so that the other foot can glide back easily, as if it’s just skimming the top of the floor.
- Step 6: Practice Practice the steps until you are able to do it fluidly, and in sneakers.
- FACT: Michael Jackson got the idea for the Moonwalk from the French mime Marcel Marceau.
You Will Need
- Slippery floor
- Socks (optional)