- Step 1: Choose your fruit Choose your fruit. Any fresh fruit in season is a good choice, but remember that apples and bananas brown quickly.
- Step 2: Mix brown sugar & lime juice In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and lime juice to make the sweetener. Let the mixture sit so the sugar is completely dissolved by the time you are done with the fruit.
- TIP: Substitute ¼ cup of orange liqueur as the sweetener for some extra kick.
- Step 3: Wash fruit Wash all your fruit with cool water.
- Step 4: Prepare fruit Seed, skin, or core the fruit as needed.
- Step 5: Chop fruit Cut the fruit into uniform, bite-size pieces. With the exception of strawberries, there’s no need to slice berries or grapes.
- Step 6: Mix fruit with sweetener Place all your cut fruit in the large salad bowl, pour the sweetener on top, and mix.
- Step 7: Chill Chill for at least 10 minutes. Serve as is, or add a topping of yogurt or whipped cream.
- FACT: During WWII, fruit salad was promoted by the U.S. government as a great way for Americans to get a healthy amount of vitamin C in their diet.
You Will Need
- A variety of fresh fruits
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 lime
- A small mixing bowl
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- And a large salad bowl
- 1/4 c. orange liqueur