- Step 1: Wait 30 days Wait until the person has had the braces on for 30 days. The first month, their mouth is going to be very sensitive.
- Step 2: Be gentle Be gentle. If you press too hard against their lips, they could cut the inside of their mouth.
- Step 3: Watch your tongue Watch your tongue. You don’t have to avoid the braces entirely; just proceed gingerly until you know where the sharp areas are. This forced, slow exploration can actually be an exciting thing!
- Step 4: Try dental wax Suggest that the person cover rough spots in generous amounts of dental wax or silicone before a make-out session.
- TIP: If there are a lot of rough spots, tell your partner that the orthodontist can smooth them out without affecting the braces.
- Step 5: Be supportive Don’t make fun of the person’s braces, or make a big deal out of it. After all, having a mouth full of braces is harder than kissing a mouth full of them!
- FACT: Tom Cruise got braces when he was 39 years old.
You Will Need
- Common sense
- Dental wax or silicone (optional)