- Step 1: Mix liquids Mix three cups of milk, a third of a cup of water, and a third of a cup of sugar in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
- Step 2: Add chocolate Add six ounces of finely chopped, good quality bittersweet chocolate and whisk until melted.
- Step 3: Refrigerate Refrigerate the mixture for at least four hours.
- TIP: This mixture can be made a day ahead of time. Just keep it covered and refrigerated.
- Step 4: Add the remaining milk Add the remaining three-quarters of a cup of milk and blend until frothy.
- Step 5: Fill glasses with ice Fill four glasses with ice.
- Step 6: Pour mixture Pour the hot chocolate mixture over ice.
- Step 7: Garnish Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings and serve.
- FACT: The recipe for the frozen hot chocolate served at Serendipity 3 in New York City was once so carefully guarded that the owners turned down a request for it from Jacqueline Kennedy, who wanted to serve it at the White House.
You Will Need
- 3 3/4 c. whole milk
- 1/3 c. water
- 1/3 c. sugar
- A saucepan
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- finely chopped
- Whipped cream (optional) (optional)
- Chocolate shavings (optional) (optional)