- Step 1: Fill with ice Fill the shaker with ice.
- Step 2: Add whiskey, lemon & sugar Add 2 oz. of whiskey, add ¾ oz of lemon juice, and finally add 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Step 3: Shake Vigorously shake the ingredients.
- TIP: Replace the sugar with a splash of orange juice and a teaspoon of grenadine and you've sweetened your sour into a new drink, called a Ward Eight.
- Step 4: Fill with ice Fill the rocks glass with ice.
- Step 5: Strain into glass Strain the mixture into the sour glass.
- TIP: A sour glass, also often called a "whiskey sour glass," is somewhere between a brandy glass and champagne flute.
- Step 6: Garnish Garnish with a cherry, and serve.
- FACT: A federal tax imposed in 1791 ‘soured’ whiskey-makers on their new U.S. government and led to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.
You Will Need
- A measuring jigger
- 2 oz. whiskey (bourbon or rye)
- 3/4 oz. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- A maraschino cherry
- A cocktail shaker
- And a sour glass (or rocks glass)