Even if you haven't landed your dream job, going to work doesn't have to be a nightmare! Make work more enjoyable with these tips.
- TIP: If you don't get along with a coworker and don't have to work directly with them, it's OK to stay away from them. It'll help lower your stress level and raise your happiness quotient.
- Step 1: Discover where you make a difference and how your job affects other people. Finding out where you make an impact can help you find a sense of fulfillment and be more secure and happy in your career.
- FACT: Women report being happy 66 percent of the time at work, while men are only happy 53 percent of the time.
- Step 2: Feel empathy for your boss in order to make them seem more human. If they're not handling their stress well, do what you can to help them complete projects and meet deadlines, but don't feel like you have to take on their angst.
- Step 3: Get out of the office whenever you can. Take your lunch outside, or eat out with people you don't work with instead of eating at your desk or in the break room.
- Step 4: Make a to-do list and mark things off as you complete them. Reflect honestly on what you've done at the end of the day to go home feeling productive.
- TIP: Avoid surfing the web to distract yourself. Try limiting your time on the web to 5 minutes every hour.
- Step 5: Let go of getting upset over things you can't control. Focus your attention on what you can do, and do it well.