Get that natural-looking sun-streaked hair you've been waiting for in the middle of the winter by following a few colorful words of advice.
- Step 1: Take care of your highlights by using products especially for colored hair -- you're going to want to keep that artificially sun-streaked hair at least until mid-July when you can get the effect naturally. Enjoy the feeling of summer all year long.
- FACT: Greek women were known to have dyed their hair as long ago as 400 B.C.E., and it's also documented that hair bleaching and dying were common in ancient Rome.
- Step 2: Talk to your stylist about what they are doing when you are at your appointment. Don't be afraid to discuss where you want your highlights.
- Step 3: Find a picture of some highlighting or dye job you like. Pick up a tabloid magazine or browse the internet and print a picture. Bringing this photo to your appointment can help your stylist get you exactly what you want.
- TIP: Ask your stylist if they are skilled at the baliage technique. This French-inspired technique offers a more natural highlight look as opposed to the foil technique.
- Step 4: Tell your stylist exactly what you want over the phone, or tell them you're not sure what you want. This will allow your stylist time to prepare for your appointment.
- Step 5: Contact your stylist and schedule an appointment to have your hair highlighted.