Every company wants to improve operations. But most have multiple areas in need of improvement.
- TIP: Strive for performance at a level that is at, or superior to, best-in-class organizations.
- Step 1: Be up to date with new technologies and trends in your industry. Look for new tools and solutions to help you address problem areas. In no time at all, you should be enjoying operational excellence.
- FACT: The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award is the highest national recognition for performance excellence that an organization in the United States can receive.
- Step 2: Remove barriers to success and aim for improvement in all areas of importance. Ask your associates for help identifying the barriers.
- Step 3: Recognize that interpersonal relationships within your company are key to success. Hire people that contribute to that success.
- Step 4: Invest in training. Proper training ensures that everyone is on board the train to success.
- Step 5: Know how your organization operates. Create a process flow map, and make sure the steps in it are being followed.
- Step 6: Challenge the departments in your organization to identify better processes. Seek sustained improvement over time.
- Step 7: Look for ways to improve communication within your organization. Lack of communication can disrupt day-to-day operations.