Your ability to achieve power at work is key to your success in the workplace. Here are some tips.
- Step 1: Boost your expertise power by increasing your work knowledge and skills. Being an expert gives you an opportunity to exchange your expertise for favors from others. And everyone needs a favor now and then, right?
- FACT: In 2009, _Forbes_ magazine ranked Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel as the world's most powerful woman.
- TIP: Relationship power comes from being likable, but it also arises from being able to inspire others with a vision and energize them to pursue it.
- Step 2: Achieve greater relationship power by becoming more personable. Be easygoing and do an occasional favor for your coworkers.
- Step 3: Increase your role power -- the power inherent in the position you hold at work -- by getting a promotion. Role power lets you provide rewards, coerce others, gain access to valuable information, and perform a critical function in the company.
- Step 4: Know that there are three contributing sources to power at work. These are role power, relationship power, and expertise power.