You need more than just a degree to become a teacher in Great Britain. Teacher training is offered inside of the United Kingdom. If you're already a qualified teacher in another country, you may still need to take a few tests to be eligible.
- Step 1: Check the printed report provided to you after completing your test. Verify that the correct result has been uploaded after 48 hours. Keep printouts for later use in your personal records.
- Step 2: Take the tests. The tests are generally given online with online calculators, but the information and communication technology and literacy tests may be taken using a paper and pencil.
- TIP: Results will only be available online for tests that received a passing score.
- Step 3: Keep a look out for your QTS certificate from the General Teaching Council for England after passing all tests. Then, start applying for that dream job.
- FACT: In 2010, members of the cast of 1988 film _Stand and Deliver_ worked to raise money for Jamie Escalante's battle against cancer. The movie was based on Escalante's life as a teacher in Los Angeles.
- Step 4: Bring 2 forms of identification to each test. Test-takers may not bring any additional items into the testing room. Place all personal items in the personal storage lockers provided at the testing center.
- TIP: Tests should be taken during your ITT courses, unless you are taking the alternative employment-based route.
- TIP: Teachers that are European Economic Area nationals and were trained in an EEA country may apply for QTS without additional training. Teachers trained in other countries or citizens of non-EEA countries will need to contact the Training and Development Agency for Schools.
- Step 5: Register for the test online, using your TRN. Provide up to date information. The username and password you create will be used to book your tests.
- Step 6: Add the e-mail addresses [email protected] and [email protected] to your e-mail server to avoid having them sent to your junk folder. Check your e-mail account for an e-mail confirmation of your registration.
- Step 7: Choose the tests and dates that you would like to take after completing registration. Book classes based on your location and time availability.
- Step 8: Get a teacher registration number, or TRN. If you are taking the initial teacher training, or ITT, in Great Britain, the number is provided in your first year of training.