Part of the American dream is being able to achieve success as an immigrant. Here are some ways to make it happen.
- Step 1: Work hard -- tell yourself you have to succeed. Live entirely on your earnings, leaving emergency savings untouched.
- Step 2: Have a big dream. Reach for the stars, believe you can make it, and strive for success. With hard work and some luck, your success will be at hand.
- FACT: The leading countries of origin for persons granted asylum in the United States in 2006 were China, Colombia, and Haiti.
- Step 3: Don't be afraid to take risks. Risk tolerance is characteristic of successful immigrants and entrepreneurs.
- TIP: If your partner is an American, they may be able to help you navigate the new terrain. While you may be able to recognize new opportunities, it might take a native's help to take advantage of them.
- Step 4: Pursue an education. Take night classes to get an undergraduate or graduate degree. An advanced education will open new doors in the United States.
- Step 5: Maintain close family ties. Think of your achievement of success as a moral obligation to your family.
- Step 6: If you want to start a business, find a business partner. Reaching success in a competitive economy requires collaboration and complementary abilities.
- Step 7: Take advantage of your ability to see the country as an outsider. You may be able to recognize opportunities that go unnoticed by long-time residents of the country.