If you are seeking serenity, follow these steps to get closer to achieving Zen-like calm in your everyday life.
- Step 1: Keep an open mind to other people and circumstances, too. Accept each situation and individual, understanding that nothing is all positive or negative -- it simply is.
- Step 2: Smile whenever possible -- for the person practicing Zen, each moment can bring serenity and peace simply because it is a moment spent living.
- FACT: The bestselling book _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance_ was first rejected by 121 publishers.
- Step 3: Strive to be comfortable with yourself. Spend some time alone each day to embrace your individuality.
- Step 4: Use your senses to experience each moment of your life completely.
- TIP: To help you focus, consider following the practice of meditating on a koan, a dialog or question that is a paradox that defies linear logic.
- Step 5: Embrace the present. Stop ruminating on the past and worrying about the future and focus on what's happening in each moment.
- Step 6: Focus on your breathing to begin your pursuit of achieving Zen calm. Concentrate on inhaling and exhaling. Feel your lungs fill with air and release it back out, bringing equilibrium to your body and calming your mind.