If you want to rid yourself of clutter, or keep it but make it less visible, find some space in your head for these ideas.
- Step 1: Decide which items need to go, which items must be accessible, and which can be stowed.
- Step 2: Fit rollaway storage bins with locking casters or wheels into cabinets or closets, under sinks, or between pieces of furniture.
- Step 3: Rearrange storage units to accommodate more stuff on shelves and in cabinets.
- TIP: Rearrange furniture to better use the space you have.
- Step 4: Install wall-mounted shelving inside the house and garage.
- Step 5: Eliminate clutter by covering tables and using the drape of the cloth to conceal storage containers underneath.
- Step 6: Store items on top of cabinets, cupboards, and on top of furniture. Slide shallow utility boxes under the bed to hold shoes.
- Step 7: Fill an armoire with hanging clothes to supplement the closets, using interior drawers for towels, underwear, and socks, or shelves for stereo equipment.
- TIP: Consider sharing family heirlooms with other family members if you don't have the space or the need for these items.
- Step 8: Mount the television on the wall and use the top of its previous stand for additional storage.
- FACT: Did you know? The phrase “skeleton in the closet” was coined in England in the 19th century and means that someone has a dark or shameful secret that they want to keep hidden.