Make it easier to dodge annoying conversations with irritating people using these tips.
- Step 1: If you absolutely can't avoid talking to people you don't want to talk to, at least give them a time limit. Say you're very sorry but you can only give them 2 minutes. When the time is up, walk away -- even if they're still talking.
- Step 2: If all else fails, just be honest. With any luck, they'll be so embarrassed that you'll become the person they avoid talking to!
- FACT: People with smartphones would much rather text or email someone than talk to them, according to a survey.
- TIP: Pretending to text may work, too.
- Step 3: Avoid talking to people with a fake phone conversation. When you see someone approaching you don't want to talk to, start shrieking and wildly gesticulating. Don't even worry if you're not holding a cellphone; they'll assume you're using a headset…or that you've gone insane. Either way, they'll infer that now's not a good time to chat.
- Step 4: Give a good excuse as to why you can't talk to someone -- one that allows no room for argument.
- TIP: Have a go-to list of excuses so you can rotate reasons.
- Step 5: Have headphones in your ears at all times; people are less inclined to bother someone who's grooving to music.