Being a father is a tremendous responsibility. Put your kids first and be the best dad you can be.
- Step 1: Demonstrate to your children that you will protect your family no matter what. Do everything you can to provide for them and make sure they know that you would sooner put yourself in harm's way than risk danger to them.
- Step 2: Show your children unconditional love. Let them know that, regardless of what they do with their lives, you will be there for them and love them no less for their choices and mistakes. Do everything you can to raise good, honest, strong people and you'll be rewarded for being the world's best dad.
- FACT: There were an estimated 158,000 stay-at-home dads in the United States in 2009.
- Step 3: Spend time with your kids, and have fun with them. Go to the movies, and play with them in the park or the backyard. Make fun, educational trips. Go to art and history museums.
- TIP: Don't reward your children for doing what they're supposed to do, like helping out around the house and doing well in school.
- Step 4: Be supportive of your children, regardless of their ambitions. Accept that your children are not you, and go out of your way to encourage them in all of their pursuits. Challenge your kids and encourage them to strive to always do better. Teach them to accept setbacks but to never give up.
- Step 5: Be a good disciplinarian while understanding that kids make mistakes. Understand that screwing up is a part of growing up, but don't let that stop you from taking corrective action when your kids misbehave.
- Step 6: If you're married, demonstrate to your children what it's like to be in a loving, committed relationship. Let them see you showing love and affection to your and teach them how important it is to respect their future partners. If you're not married, or if you're not married to their mother, show their mother respect and maintain a cordial relationship with her. Never fight with her in front of them.