If you're tired of taking orders and hate the office rat race, this guide will make you into the king of your own castle.
- Step 1: Prepare your resume and then check out the classified ads in your local newspaper or look for opportunities online. Once you find an opening, hit the ground running.
- FACT: It takes 150 maintenance and janitorial workers to clean the 103 floors of the Empire State Building.
- TIP: Ask the superintendent in your building if he's willing to show you the ropes or take you on as an apprentice.
- Step 2: Work as a security guard or maintenance worker to get some experience before applying for a superintendent job or while you are pursuing your degree.
- Step 3: Pick up a second language such as Spanish or Mandarin Chinese to communicate with tenants that have recently immigrated.
- Step 4: Get certified in fire and safety codes. Check with either your city or state's housing department to learn the rules.
- Step 5: Finish high school or get your Graduate Equivalency Diploma and then consider if vocational training in property management is necessary in your area.