How smart you become isn't determined just by genetics. You can enhance your mind and stay sharp with regular brain workouts.
- Step 1: Play brain-teaser games for at least 10 minutes a day. Consistent training is the key to building your brain power.
- TIP: Get lots of physical exercise, too. Physical activity -- which increases blood flow to the brain -- is important for enriching the gray matter.
- Step 2: Eliminate distractions before you start your brain workout so you can focus your thoughts and concentrate on the game.
- Step 3: Play online brain teasers and use brain-training software. Look for games that are both fun and targeted to increasing your logical thinking, spatial sense, and multitasking ability.
- Step 4: Don't be scared to try new games. New challenges will keep your mind engaged. Rotate through a variety of brain-building activities that involve math, words, and brain teaser puzzles.
- TIP: Try mastering games like Sudoku and KenKen, as well as board games, video games, card games, riddles, and crossword puzzles.
- Step 5: Take I.Q. practice tests to flex your mental muscles. Some studies have concluded that I.Q. is not necessarily a static number.
- FACT: In 1990, then-President George Bush declared that the U.S. should observe a "Decade of the Brain" to increase public awareness about the importance of neuroscience and brain research.