Yerba mate is a traditional hot beverage from South America believed to have curative properties. Here's how to brew and serve it in a gourd.
- Step 1: Pass the filled gourd cup around to your friends and enjoy!
- FACT: Did you know? Yerba mate is believed to counter depression and high cholesterol.
- TIP: Letting the leaves swell enhances their flavor.
- Step 2: Add only enough cool water to moisten the mate leaves and let it sit for a few minutes while the leaves swell. Fill the gourd with hot water. Insert the bombilla into the gourd opening and let the tea steep for a few minutes.
- Step 3: Fill the gourd halfway with yerba mate leaves. Place a hand over the gourd opening and turn it upside-down, shaking it to force the most powdery leaves to the top.
- Step 4: Buy yerba mate leaves at a health food store or mate retailer.