Use the information to buy a bikini that accentuates the positive, making you feel confident enough to step out into the sunshine.
- Step 1: Shop at retail stores that allow you to mix and match tops and bottoms for the best and most flattering fit.
- Step 2: Consider your swimsuit budget, making sure your bikini buy promotes your pocketbook's interests as well as your curves. Now, head to the beach and turn heads.
- FACT: High-tech Olympic swimsuits feature ultrasonically bonded seams to fit like a second skin.
- TIP: Sequins, beads, and crocheted fabrics add flair to a bikini.
- Step 3: Understand fabric types, keeping in mind popular nylon materials are lightweight and smooth-fitting, while spandex also fits well, but isn't durable when exposed to chlorine.
- Step 4: Know what's available in bikini styles -- from the classic string to the halter top and the thong bottom to board shorts, and everything in between.
- Step 5: Match styles to your figure, keeping in mind that small tops flatter petite frames, a tank-style top hides large tummies, a string bikini flatters short legs, and a smooth bikini bottom--without frills or detailing--minimizes large backsides.
- TIP: Model the suit, taking a good look in a full-length mirror to make sure the bikini flatters you in all the right places.
- Step 6: Be honest with yourself about your body's best assets. To pick out the best suit for you, it's essential you know which body parts you want to highlight and which ones you want to hide.