Set yourself apart from the rest of the guys with this smooth move—just make sure it doesn't end up being thrown back in your face.
- TIP: If possible, upgrade. If she's drinking well vodka or house wine, take the liberty of switching her to something on a higher shelf.
- Step 1: Don't be pushy. If she accepts your drink, nod, and wait a bit before going over to say hello. Better yet, stay put until she comes and thanks you in person!
- FACT: Studies have linked personality traits and cocktail choice. Red wine drinkers tend to be mature and organized; vodka imbibers are fashionistas; tequila aficionados are free spirits; and beer drinkers are low maintenance.
- Step 2: Don't send her a shot of whisky if she's sipping wine. Buy whatever she's already drinking.
- Step 3: If you decide she's amenable, send the cocktail through the bartender. Keeping your distance—at least at first—will make her feel more comfortable.
- Step 4: When you spot the right woman, make eye contact and smile slightly, avoiding a big grin.
- TIP: Leave the cheesy pickup lines at home.
- Step 5: Pay attention: Is she giving off the "don't talk to me" vibe? Is she wearing a wedding band? If so, move on.
- Step 6: Choose a bar or club that's both lively and populated with more women than men. Good options include wine bars and mellow lounges.