The perfect gift for any new homeowner, learn what to include in a gardening tool gift set.
- Step 1: Include an apron that matches the gloves. Waist aprons with large tool pockets are the most practical, but longer aprons offer something to kneel on while working in the garden.
- Step 2: Find a container for your gift. Something with a garden theme, such as a decorated flower pot, is ideal. Wrap the gift in cellophane with a bow and hope for some homegrown vegetables or a beautiful flower bouquet as a gift in return.
- FACT: Tomatoes are the most popular garden vegetable in the U.S.
- Step 3: Find a pair of gardening gloves that have reinforced palms and fingers. Gardening gloves typically have textured or suede palm sides for traction when pulling weeds. Gauntlet-style gloves are useful for reaching into brush and thorny bushes.
- TIP: Buy garden tools made by the same manufacturer that has matching handles.
- Step 4: Buy a cast aluminum cultivator. Essential for loosening soil, working compost or manure into soil, and surface weeding, a quality cultivator will be light and easy to maneuver with a long center prong for breaking up hard clumps of soil.
- Step 5: Include a bypass pruner in your gift set. Bypass pruners have curved blades that use a scissor motion to make clean, easy cuts. Quality pruners have blades that can be removed and sharpened.
- Step 6: Buy a cast aluminum trowel. While available in many varieties, remember that you get what you pay for. The highest quality trowels are solid-forged aluminum with comfort-grip handles.