Whether you are a collector or just enjoy a glass of high-quality wine, a wine refrigerator is crucial to enjoying your wine to its fullest. Make sure you look for these options when making a purchase.
- TIP: Fluorescent and natural light can destroy a wine's flavor.
- Step 1: Purchase a refrigerator that can hold different size bottles of wine. Check for convenient slide-out shelving.
- Step 2: Consider the decor of the refrigerator. There are many types of wood and decorative features available. Your selection of a refrigerator reflects your taste almost as much as your wine choice, so choose one that is right for you.
- FACT: One barrel of wine contains 740 pounds of grapes and will fill 295 bottles.
- Step 3: Make sure the glass door has built-in light protection.
- Step 4: Consider how many bottles you will be storing. Look for a refrigerator with slightly more space than you think you will need.
- Step 5: Opt for quality insulation to keep your bottles at a constant 55 degrees and at a humidity of 50 to 70 percent to discourage mold.
- Step 6: Look for a vibration control as a feature.
- TIP: Vibration can disturb the wine's natural aging process.
- Step 7: Purchase a refrigerator with dual or multiple zone temperature controls if you are storing red and white wines. Red wine needs to be chilled more thoroughly than white, so being able to keep them at different settings is helpful.