Berber carpet is a big investment, but it will last for years if you do careful research and choose the best value for your money.
- Step 1: Invest in high-quality carpet padding. The padding that is installed under the carpet absorbs the abuse of every day wear and extends the life of the carpet. Choose firmer padding for larger looped Berber.
- Step 2: Shop around at several carpet stores, and choose a color and style that fit your home's decor. Enjoy the look and feel of your new carpet.
- FACT: Berber carpet gets its name from the Berber people of North Africa, who looped wool and camel hair to make rugs and cloaks.
- TIP: Multilevel styles will show less wear in high-traffic areas.
- Step 3: Choose between a single level or multilevel Berber. Multilevel carpet has loops at different heights that create a pattern.
- TIP: Consult the Better Business Bureau and get referrals from family and friends.
- Step 4: If you can afford it, buy a carpet that is 100 percent wool or 100 percent nylon. Cheaper blends of fibers will not last as long and are harder to clean.
- Step 5: Pick a closed or cut loop carpet. The cut loop type will feel softer, like a traditional plush carpet.
- Step 6: Choose a reputable company that offers installation and a warranty on the carpet and labor.