If you're a beginning golfer, choosing a set of clubs that are right for your playing style can be a complicated process.
- Step 1: Buy the right driver for your playing style. Types of drivers include the 1-wood, 3-wood, and 5-wood. The most popular drivers are made of a variety of materials, including stainless steel, titanium, graphite, and wood.
- Step 2: Select the right iron for your playing style. An iron has a thin grooved metal head. Types of irons range from 3 to 9-irons. The lower the number, the lower the club's ball-loft capabilities.
- Step 3: Choose the right wedge for your playing style. A pitching wedge is for fairway shots to the green. A sand wedge is for digging out of a trap. A lob wedge is for short distance shots. Once you've chosen the right clubs, you'll conquer the fairway!
- FACT: Scotland's King James II banned the game of golf in 1457 because it kept his soldiers from practicing their archery for warfare.
- TIP: A session with a professional clubfitter at a pro shop is typically included in the price of a club set.
- Step 4: Visit the International Professional Association of ClubFitters web site to find a professional clubfitter near you. A fitter can advise you to buy a set of clubs matched to your height, strength, and swinging style.
- TIP: Before buying golf clubs, evaluate your budget and how much time you're willing to devote to the sport.
- Step 5: Know how different club types function. Drivers are for driving the ball 175 yards or more. Irons are for distances less than 200 yards. Wedges are for ball loft for getting out of traps, and putters are for short distances to the hole.
- TIP: A typical golf club set consists of 14 clubs.
- Step 6: Visit golf club manufacturer web sites for individual product descriptions. Materials and head sizes within each club type can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Step 7: Go to a driving range or pro shop and try out different clubs before you buy. You can also borrow clubs from friends. An investment in a typical set of golf clubs can range from $150 to $2000.