When you need to furnish a room for a child, there are several factors to consider. Before you shell out the dough, make sure you're getting the most for your money.
- Step 1: Look for classic design features in your child's furniture so that you can add to the set over the years. If you buy a plain, classic bed and dresser, you can add a toy box next year, and add a desk and chair down the road.
- Step 2: Buy furniture with cubbyholes or other storage spaces. Many kid's beds feature built-in storage spaces or drawers beneath mattresses. Toy boxes are another option. For most young children, cleaning up merely means stuffing things out of sight, and these features make clean up quick and easy.
- Step 3: Allow you child to choose accessories for their room. Chances are, they didn't get everything they wanted out of the shopping experience. Let them choose their own wall-hangings, sheets, and decorations. Give your child the sense that they have their own personal space and they may appreciate time-outs in their room.
- FACT: A 2010 Staples Office Chair Survey found that 29 percent of respondents spent more time in their office chairs each day than they spent in their beds at night.
- Step 4: Buy furniture that is on sale. Furniture stores are forever having sales -- especially on kids bedroom furniture. Rather than buying cheap pressed wood or particleboard furniture, buy solid wood pieces that are on sale.
- Step 5: Steer clear of furniture with obvious safety concerns, such as poorly constructed bunk beds with shaky ladders, and make sure that whatever you buy can withstand normal kids' roughhousing.
- TIP: If taking your kids shopping is too much of an ordeal, or if you just don't have time, you can always shop online or through catalogs.
- Step 6: Buy quality, well-manufactured furniture. Just because the furniture is for kids doesn't mean it's disposable. If your child is begging for a gimmicky, cheaply made piece of furniture with a cartoon character endorsement, steer them toward something lasting. Let them decorate something else with the character.
- TIP: You can always purchase bedding featuring trendy images for kids.
- Step 7: Bring your kids shopping. Since the furniture is for them, they should be able to give you an idea of what they like.