Accommodate your expanding belly with smart wardrobe choices that will last your entire pregnancy. Know which pieces are worth splurging on as well as when it's smart to save.
- Step 1: Bring out the sewing machine and whip up your own maternity pieces if you're an accomplished seamstress. You can easily modify pants with a simple elastic band to make them maternity-ready.
- Step 2: Brighten your basic wardrobe elements with cheap, seasonal accessories. Try trendy necklaces and scarves to dress up your tops, while funky wide belts will accentuate your belly.
- FACT: A baby is born somewhere in the world every 3 seconds.
- Step 3: Check online for pre-owned and new maternity clothes. Bid for items on eBay or look at your local Craigslist ads.
- TIP: Invest in quality maternity undergarments. Don't forget to buy nursing bras if you plan to breastfeed.
- TIP: Know your pre-pregnancy size; most maternity wear will follow your regular sizing. Also, pick maternity designs that will flatter your body type.
- Step 4: Scour thrift stores and garage sales for good, stylish maternity clothes. Maternity clothes have a short shelf life, so most pre-owned clothes should be in good shape.
- Step 5: Consider the time of year that you'll be pregnant and plan accordingly. Also, determine whether or not you'll be working for the duration of your pregnancy and if you will need professional maternity attire.