Curious how many calories breast-feeding burns? Here's how to find out.
- Step 1: If requested, enter the percentages of fat, protein, and carbohydrates you consume.
- Step 2: Indicate how long you have been breast-feeding. Hit calculate to determine how many total calories you are burning.
- FACT: Research has indicated that breast-feeding can lower the risk in mom and baby for developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Step 3: Enter data about your body, such as your weight, height, age, and activity level.
- Step 4: Find an online calculator that can help you determine the total number of calories you burn each day, including additional calories due to breast-feeding.
- Step 5: Figure out how much you breast-feed. A nursing mother can burn up to 500 additional calories per day.
- TIP: Be aware that breast-feeding also increases your appetite.
- Step 6: Make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your dietary needs. Ask them to estimate how many calories you are burning and recommend what your daily caloric intake should be.