Do you need to measure how spread out the values in a data set are? Calculate the range to find the difference between the largest and smallest numbers in the set.
- Step 1: Subtract the smallest number from the largest number to find the range for your data set. It's that simple!
- FACT: The oldest evidence of counting is a baboon bone with 29 clearly defined marks that was used as a tally stick. The bone was found in Africa in the 1970s and dates to 35,000 BCE.
- Step 2: Note the smallest number in your set.
- Step 3: Note the largest number in the set.
- TIP: Use the sort feature in Excel or another spreadsheet computing program to arrange large sets of numbers numerically.
- Step 4: Arrange all of the numbers in your data set from largest to smallest.