Men with curly hair have virtually unlimited options. Wear it untamed with full volume, or tone it down with a trim or total buzz.
- Step 1: Keep your hair short, but let your natural waves shine through. Ask your stylist for a cut with tapered sides and a little bit of length in the back. Pull your hair towards your forehead and tousle gently with pomade or balm.
- Step 2: Grow your locks long and work the surfer look. Make sure your curls are well-conditioned and trimmed regularly. Aim for a scruffy look, paired with a hint of stubble.
- FACT: Julius Caesar, for whom the Caesar haircut is named, was the first Roman leader to issue coins bearing his own image.
- Step 3: Get a buzz cut to eliminate the prep time associated with curly hair. All you'll need is a dollop of balm for extra shine. Talk to your stylist to determine the best face-framing shape.
- Step 4: Find a skilled stylist who understands how to work with your hair type. Your stylist should be able to suggest new styles and products appropriate for your curls and waves.
- TIP: Avoid the blow dryer. Blow drying can increase frizz. Let your curls air dry and finger-comb your tresses.
- Step 5: Apply a pomade to heavier, coarse curls. Rub a small amount in your hands and lightly apply it to your curls. Then separate your hair with your fingers. A heavy pomade may weigh down thin hair, so use a lighter balm if you have fine curls.
- TIP: Think the grass is greener on the other side? Try a straightening perm for pin-straight locks. This treatment lasts for six months to a year.
- Step 6: Wash your hair with a shampoo designed for your curly or frizzy hair type. Follow with a heavy conditioner to tame frizz. Use the occasional deep conditioner to keep your curls in tip-top shape.