National Boss's Day falls on October 16 every year. Here's how to let your boss know how much you appreciate the job they do with looking like a complete brown-noser.
- Step 1: Get everyone in your department, immediate office area, or small company, to pitch in to buy a gift. Etiquette experts advise against individual gifts for the boss, so go in on a bouquet of flowers or a muffin basket as a group.
- Step 2: Take your boss out for a drink after work -- and refrain from using the company credit card to pick up the tab.
- FACT: Patricia Bays Haroski, a secretary with State Farm Insurance, invented National Boss's Day in honor of her boss in 1958.
- Step 3: Slip a Boss's Day card or note under their door. Briefly express your appreciation, admiration, and gratitude. Only write what you really mean -- being fake is the hallmark of a suck-up.
- TIP: Give them a break! Completely avoid talking to your boss at all today if you don't get along.
- TIP: Call your boss up and leave a message if they're out of town.
- Step 4: Allow your boss one stress-free day. Avoid bringing up any problems you're having with coworkers or mentioning any of your boss's hot-button issues.
- Step 5: Wish them "Happy Boss's Day," preferably with a straight face.